School drop off can be difficult for children and their parents, but it may also create a challenge for child care teachers. As the teacher, it is your responsibility to make sure every child you are caring for feels safe and comfortable in the classroom. This can be difficult when dealing with a child who is experiencing separation anxiety. If you work together with the child’s parents, however, you can quickly establish a secure routine for drop off that works for everyone.
Here are some tips to help ease separation anxiety in the child care classroom:
1. MAKE SURE THE CHILD IS PREPARED AHEAD OF TIME
2. ASK PARENTS FOR BACKGROUND INFORMATION
3. ASK PARENTS TO PROVIDE A COMFORT ITEM
4. PROVIDE DISTRACTION
5. GIVE THE CHILD A LITTLE EXTRA TLC
6. ENGAGE THE CHILD IN AN ART OR WRITING PROJECT
Saying “goodbye” can be difficult but with the proper preparation, any child can find comfort in the classroom.